|Guide's House, Rock & River Lodge|
As luck would have it the World Cup Ski Aerials were taking place at the Lake Placid Olympic Ski Jump complex. May of us took the chance to watch upcoming Olympic hopefuls soar 40 feet in the air twisting and turning before landing it... hard. It was amazing to watch. After happy-hour and a delicious meal catered by Rob Hastings of Rivermede Farm Sophie Helneck inspired us with her 2010 climb of Huantsán mountain, Peru. Sophie and her team put 2 new routes on the mountain and were featured in the 2011 AAJ.
Please mark your calendars for January 25-27, 2019 and a very special 30th Anniversary of the Winter Outing at Rock & River. In lieu of our regular climbing presentation we will be sharing stories and photos of the Outing from the past 30 years. I look forward to seeing some of you again at the upcoming Club events below.
- Feb. 23-24, Boston, MA - AAC Annual Benefit Dinner, celebration of the 1978 American K2 Expedition
- I will host a Section Meet-up at the Fairmont Copley Plaza Bar on Saturday, 4pm-6pm.
- Feb. 27, Arc'Teryx Soho, NYC - Jim Herrington will be presenting his photography book The Climbers, the culmination of a 20-year project to track down and document the surviving legendary climbers of the early-to-mid 20th Century ‘Golden Age’ of climbing.. Details here, https://www.eventbrite.com/e/lecture-series-with-jim-herrington-tickets-41716186236
- Mar. 3-7, Symphony Space NYC, Banff Film Festival
- April 7-8 - Annual Gunks Campground Volunteer work weekend
- May 18-20 - Annual Spring Outing in the Dacks
|Waterfall at Poko|
|X-skiing was perfect!|
|World Cup Ski Aerials|
|Rock climbing the chimney|
|Each morning starts with a fabulous breakfast buffet as teams plan their day|